Our purpose is to unite the fight against nationally significant crime.
As an agency we provide intelligence, investigation and criminal database services. We are a flexible and dynamic organisation and change our work priorities to adjust to the ever changing criminal environment.
Working with partners
We are a niche, complementary agency that delivers specialist capabilities and intelligence to other agencies in the law enforcement community and broader government. We are committed to enhancing partnerships with law enforcement, broader government and the private sector to fight serious and organised crime.
Our work priorities—determinations
The ACC Board approves work priorities for the ACC which are called determinations. Our current determinations address the following topics:
- Highest Risk Criminal Targets Special Investigation
- Targeting Criminal Wealth Special Investigation
- High Risk and Emerging Drug Threats Special Operation
- National Security Impacts from Serious and Organised Crime (SOC) Special Operation
- Making Australia Hostile to SOC Special Operation
- Child Sex Offences Special Intelligence Operation
- Established Criminal Networks – Victoria State Special Investigation
- High Risk Crime Groups – South Australia State Special Investigation
- Indigenous Violence or Child Abuse No. 2 Special Intelligence Operation
- previous determinations
The ACC can draw on special coercive powers which enable it to source information that cannot be accessed through traditional policing methods.
Intelligence sharing services
We manage the Australian Criminal Intelligence Database (ACID) and the Australian Law Enforcement Intelligence Network (ALEIN). ACID and ALEIN provide federal, state and territory law enforcement and other regulatory authorities with a framework to securely store, retrieve, analyse and share criminal information and intelligence on a national basis.
Since the creation of the ACC we have worked collaboratively with other law enforcement and government agencies to provide a comprehensive understanding of the nature of serious and organised crimes.